Friday, April 2, 2010

Capture in Premier Pro CS3...please help

OK...I am BRAND NEW at Premier and ''video'' all together.?I'm trying to Capture video footage using my Sony DCR-SX41 camcorder AND I've watched the Lynda.com video on how to ''capture'' footage.?The instructor says that I may have problems doing this (which I certainly do), if my camera isn't set to ''VCR mode''...what the HECK is that.?I'm looking through every setting on my camera and I don't see a ''VCR mode''.?Can someone help?! THANKS!

SIGNED...''TOTALLY DISCOURAGED''

Capture in Premier Pro CS3...please help

Most cameras have a switch that has 3 positions:?Off, Camera Mode, VCR Mode

VCR mode may be called something different, like VTR or Playback

Capture in Premier Pro CS3...please help

Just looked up your camera.?It doesnt have a firewire port, so you cant connect it to a computer for video capture.

Your cam records video onto a flash card, it loks like in MPG2 format. So, just copy the files over and try it. However you might like premiere elements better if this is going to be your source video.?Its designed for lower end video.

Im just curious, cause this seems to happen alot..?Why do you buy an $800 editing sw to go with a $300 camera??Pr Elements is only around $99

Some Sonys have an on/off and a ''mode'' setting past ''on'' that toggles between ''camera'' and ''play/edit.''?You want ''play/edit'' if that is your camera's system.?When you first turn such cameras on, they default to camera, and won't respond to capture commands.

...The short answer to your question is ''I'm clueless''.?I'm more accustomed to doing print work and I'm trying to break into video...Thanks for your help.?I'll try Elements.

Since I can't do CAPTURE with my camera.?I saved the video on my computer and tried to import it (MPG2 format) into Premiere.?It brought in the VIDEO but not the AUDIO.?Am I doing something wrong?

I suggest you first get a proper education in video editing. Then get a consumer application like the free WMM, or PE. That is a $ 99 program that suits your capabilities much better than a $ 799 program like PR.

What makes you think that a $ 269 camera is worth an expensive program like PR, when the camera does not deliver material suitable for editing, only for watching?

The first question at the end of this link http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting includes links to software that will tell you the CODEC used for your file

If you don't have the correct CODEC installed, Premiere won't work... IF it will work at all with the files you have

When you get to the wiki link, go to the base of that ''tree'' and start reading... especially the tutorial section

Also... go to my notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM and click the link about editing Compressed files

There may be other software that would work better with your camera

Am I doing something wrong?

Yikes...Looks like I touched a nerve among the experts...apologies.?I'm a novice and am trying to learn which is why I joined the forum, joined Lynda.com and purchased a myriad of different books.?But, ''I don't know what I don't know''...which is why I asked.?I had already purchased CS3 and just recently purchased the camcorder...not knowing what specific features I need in the camcorder to make it work w/ Premiere Pro (still not 100% clear)...and I'm working on a very limited budget, so I couldn't get the extremely expensive cameras.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.?I'll take your advice and will continue to do my best and learn as much as possible about the subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment