Friday, April 2, 2010

Strange Character

WIndows Vista Home Premium Indesign CS2.

I've been placing MS Office 2007 Word files (RTF) into Indesign as potential chapters for a book. In one file, I've encountered a blank space (about 2 characters long) at the end of the last line on one page and about an half-inch space at the beginning of the first line on the next page. When I turned on ''Hidden Characters'', there is what looks like an octothorp at the end of that last line. Deleting and backspacing don't work.

I assume that I have somehow triggered some (unknown to me) command in Indesign. It does not appear in the Word file.

Any ideas of what it might be and how I get rid of it. It is non-printing,

Thanks,

Ed

Strange Character

The # is simply a hidden ''End of text in this story'' character.

This link documents InDesign's hidden characters:

http://indesignsecrets.com/free-guide-to-indesign-special-characters.php

Strange Character

Steve:

Many thanks!

Now, how do I make it go away? The story clearly (to me) continues on the next page.So it has somehow become disconnected. Is there some way to fix this without re-doing the whole file ( 40+) pages of text and graphics. Is it as simple as RTFM?

Thanks again,

Ed

If you want to thread to the next page, click the outport on the first frame, then click inside the frame on the next page and they will thread together. This may cause text on the next page to be sucked back into the previous frame.

Peter:

Many thanks!

Will try it when I get back to the computer.

Good weekend to all!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment